- If your VPN stops working, you should follow the normal troubleshooting procedure, clear your DNS or reinstall the client.
- Obviously, one of the easiest ways to solve a VPN problem is to replace it with a better service.
- We recommend using a reputable subscription-based VPN provider instead of free and sometimes insecure VPN solutions.
- However, if you are loyal to your current VPN service provider, check out the solutions below.
If your VPN stops working, it could be for a number of reasons such as B. Internet connection, incorrect registration details, unpaid subscription or technical reasons such as server problems.
A VPN restores the confidentiality of your internet usage. So when it stops working, that privacy is no longer guaranteed. However, you need to check things like the ports you are using, your network, and more before you can identify the underlying problem that is causing the system to fail.
Before contacting your VPN provider, check out some of the common problems and possible solutions listed below.
What can I do if my VPN stops working?
If the connection to your VPN is constantly interrupted or stops working, it may be due to a system incompatibility. A sure way to solve this problem is to switch to a reliable VPN provider that has years of experience in creating stable software. We recommend private internet access.
PIA meets everyone’s needs by covering all major platforms: iOS, Android, Windows, Linux and macOS, as well as browser extensions for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
You also benefit from a 30-day money-back guarantee, and excellent customer service to help you diagnose and resolve any issues. PIA has servers all over the world, so you can bypass geographical restrictions and still protect your data.
If your current VPN solution no longer works, we recommend you try private Internet access as a reliable alternative.
Here are some of the features you can benefit from when using the PIA :
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Protects up to 10 devices simultaneously
- SOCKS5 Proxy Support
- Multiple VPN gateways
- More than 3,300 servers in over 45 countries
- A strict no-magazine policy
- WireGuard, PPTP, OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec protocols.
Private Internet access
Private access to the Internet gives you the peace of mind that your VPN will always work, no matter what device you use it on. Benefit now from an exceptional discount!
If your VPN stops working, try the following general troubleshooting before trying the following solutions :
- Check if a device is causing the problem by rebooting all affected devices such as computers, hubs, routers and/or modems to see if your connection works properly without a VPN connection.
- Connect your VPN to another device on the same network and see if it helps. If this is the case, the problem is most likely related to the device you were using.
- Connect your computer directly to your modem – bypass your router – if this helps, then your router is causing problems with your VPN account, as your router settings can sometimes affect your VPN.
- Check your firewall software and see if it conflicts with your VPN. Disconnect and try to connect again. If this works, then you need to set an exception for using your VPN when setting up the firewall, or, set an exception for all traffic to the VPN server address.
- Remove the first VPN connection you made and see if the second one works.
- Check your country or provider as they may block VPN connections. You can confirm this with your friends in the same region or contact your supplier directly.
- Make sure you enter the correct passwords (without spaces) and the correct username.
- Make sure the date and time settings on your computer are correct.
- If your VPN does not support the use of multiple devices with the same account, check if you are sharing a device with another and using only one.
- Time zone change
- Empty your browser’s cache, because the old information you used before is still there.
- Make sure you are using the latest version of the VPN.
- Make sure the server you are connecting to is enabled and reachable.
- Try another internet connection
- Try changing the connection to a different port/protocol and find one that suits you.
This will cause your computer to automatically check your VPN DNS for valid/accurate entries. To do that:
- Press Start.
- Select All Applications.
- Appropriate accessories.
- Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter. A statement that says: Windows IP configuration The DNS resolver cache was successfully cleared.
- Right click on Start and select Run
- Type regedit and press Enter
- You will now see the User Account Control dialog box.
- Press Yes.
- In the registry editor, under Computer, double-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, double-click SOFTWARE and then double-click [Your] VPN.
- If you cannot find [your] VPN directly under SOFTWARE, go to SOFTWARE > Classes > [your] VPN.
- Right-click [Your] VPN, and then click Delete. After deploying, you should no longer see your VPN under Wow6432Node
Depending on the specific problem you are experiencing with disabling your VPN, you should be able to resolve it with the above solutions. Note that some services, such as. B. Netflix, have been known to stop working when VPN is enabled. If this is the case, try connecting to another server.
Services like Netflix constantly block thousands of IP addresses, and VPN providers constantly thwart this by opening new servers and changing their customers’ IP addresses. A possible solution to this problem is to purchase a special IP address from your VPN provider that will only be used by you.
What you can also do is temporarily disable the Adblock feature enabled in the VPN client.
Let us know in the comments section if any of these solutions worked.
FAQ: Problems stopping VPN
- Why does the VPN stop working and ask for the password?
Make sure your account is still active by going to your VPN provider’s website and logging in. If this is not the reason, either shut down the VPN completely or reboot the system and try again. If the problem persists, reinstall the VPN client. Finally, if you are using a subscription-based VPN like PIA, please contact support for further instructions.
- Why does my WiFi stop working when I turn on my VPN?
Make sure you use the default gateway on the external network. You can also remove and reinstall the VPN adapter. Read our full guide to find out how.
- Why does my internet stop working when I connect to a VPN?
If this problem occurs, the first thing you should do is choose a different server, if this doesn’t work, then reload the VPN client, reboot the PC or reinstall the VPN client. We have created a comprehensive guide on how to solve this problem.
- Does a VPN cause the YouTube PiP to not work?
No, YouTube PiP works with a VPN, provided you are connected to a server in a country where this feature is available. Also note that you will need a YouTube Premium account to access PiP.
- Will the Grim Dawn VPN stop working on the local network?
Technically, no. Even if you are connected to a VPN, other computers on your network will be able to see your game.
Editor’s note: This article was originally published in May 2018 and revised and updated in February 2021 for timeliness, accuracy and completeness.
frequently asked questions
Why does my VPN suddenly stop working?
If your VPN stops working, it could be for a number of reasons such as B. Internet connection, incorrect connection details, unpaid subscription or technical reasons such as server problems. A VPN restores the confidentiality of your internet usage. So when it stops working, that privacy is no longer guaranteed.
What do you do if your VPN does not work?
VPN troubleshooting guide …
Why is my VPN connected but not working?
One of the most common reasons why a VPN is connected but not working is a DNS configuration problem. This can also happen if you configure the VPN connection to use the default gateway on the remote network. This setting overrides the default gateway setting that you specify in the TCP/IP settings.
vpn connected but not working, vpn not working windows 10, why is my vpn not working on netflix, vpn not working iphone, vpn not connecting on wifi, apps not working with vpn, why is my vpn not connecting, vpn connection problems