Text messages are one of the most popular types of communication in our society. Based on current statistics, nearly 80% of adults use their cell phone to send and receive text messages. And with businesses looking for new and innovative ways to connect with their customers, text messaging has become an essential marketing tool.
What is an SMS Short Code?
An SMS shortcode is a number representing small text message to which customers can send messages. Think of it as similar to the phone numbers you dial on your mobile device. But instead of sending and receiving calls, you’re sending and receiving text messages with either individuals or businesses.
SMS shortcodes are used by businesses to send out marketing messages, notifications, and other important information to their customers. And they’re also an excellent way for customers to connect with businesses.
There are two types of shortcodes: shared and dedicated.
Shared Short Codes
A short shared code is a five or six-digit number used by more than one business. This type of shortcode is typically less expensive to use, but it can be more challenging to get approved because more businesses are competing for space on the code.
Dedicated Short Codes
Dedicated Shortcodes are five or six-digit numbers assigned exclusively to one business. This type of shortcode costs more, but it will allow businesses to build brand awareness and make their campaigns stand out from the crowd. And because this type of shortcode isn’t shared with other businesses, customers who send messages to it are more likely to remember the business’s name.
Benefits of Having an SMS Short Code
There are several benefits to having an SMS shortcode for your business. Some of the most notable benefits include:
• Increased Engagement: When customers can easily connect with your business through text messaging, it leads to increased engagement and interaction. Studies have revealed that text messages are 8x more responsive than email.
• Greater Customer Satisfaction: Customers will be more satisfied with the level of communication available. It’s also a great way to keep them updated with your offerings as it’s easier to respond to their needs.”
• Increased Sales: With text messages, you can reach out to your customers to promote new products and offerings. And since text messages have higher response rates than email, you’re also more likely to increase sales as a result.
• Higher Conversion Rates: Short codes for texting are great for increasing your conversion rates. With text messages, you can provide customers with important information and updates that will help them convert from leads into paying customers. And since text messages have higher response rates than email, you’re also more likely to see an increase in conversions as well.
• Better Customer Service: Text messaging allows you to provide better customer service by giving customers the ability to reach out to your business at any time from anywhere. And since text messages have higher response rates than email, you’re also more likely to receive a faster response when using this type of communication tool.
How Do I Get an SMS Short Code?
To get an SMS shortcode for your business, you can apply directly with the Common Short Code Administration (CSCA) or go through a third-party provider. When you apply with CSCA, it costs $500 per month, and there’s no guarantee that they will approve your application. It also takes several months to get a short code approved by CSCA, and the setup process can be complicated for businesses that aren’t familiar with how it works.
Applying through a third-party provider is an easier and more affordable option. And since most providers are certified to manage shortcodes on behalf of their customers, you won’t have to go through the hassle of applying with CSCA.
When choosing a provider, make sure to compare the costs and features of each option to find the best fit for your business. Most providers offer a variety of packages that include different features and pricing options.
In conclusion, text messaging is a great way to connect with your customers and increase engagement. By using an SMS short code, you’re able to provide customers with important updates and notifications that will help them connect with your business on a deeper level. And since text messages have a higher response rate than email, you’re more likely to see an increase in sales and conversions as a result. To get started, choose a provider and apply for a short code today!