Windows 10 File Explorer dark theme not working [Fixed]
Note that this method does not always work, and if it does, you will need to use the Media Builder and Windows 10 ISO.
We have written a detailed manual on how to install the October 10 Windows update from an ISO file, with step-by-step instructions.
Once your computer is updated and the latest version is installed, the problem should be solved and you should be able to use the dark theme without any problems.
What is the latest version of Windows 10? Read it in our constantly updated article!
2. Switching to standard theme
- Open the Settings application and go to the Personalization section.
- Select themes in the left menu. In the right-hand window, select Windows from the list of available themes.
Then go back to the default theme, and the dark theme should work in the file explorer.
Windows 10 supports a variety of customizations and makes it possible to switch between themes.
These themes usually have their own color palette, and although these themes make it possible to customize Windows, they can sometimes be problematic.
It is clear that a dark theme is not available to the file explorer unless you use the default theme. Several users have confirmed this, and according to them, the dark theme became available as soon as they switched to the standard theme.
3. Reboot file explorer
- Open the Task Manager. The quickest way is to use the hotkey Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Find Windows Explorer in the list. Right-click and select Restart from the menu.
After a few moments, Windows Explorer should restart and you should be able to switch to a dark theme in File Explorer.
If the dark theme does not work on your computer, the file explorer may be the problem. Sometimes your system can break down.
However, you can solve this problem by simply restarting the file explorer. Just follow the steps above.
4. Exit and return to
- Open the Start menu and click on the icon of your profile. Now select Exit from the menu.
- If you are logged out, select your account to log in.
As mentioned earlier, Windows errors can sometimes cause problems with the dark theme.
If you can’t use the theme of the dark file explorer on your computer, users say you can try logging out of your account and log back in again.
Sometimes this can help to solve certain problems and you can log out by following the procedure above. Then you can use the dark theme on your computer.
5. Creating a new user account
- Open the Settings application and go to Accounts.
- Select Family and others in the menu on the left. In the right box, select Add another person to this computer.
- Select I have no credentials for this person > Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the desired username for the new account and click Next.
If you still cannot use the dark theme in File Explorer, your user account may be damaged.
This can happen for several reasons, but you can easily solve this problem by creating a new user account.
Since there is no easy way to fix a corrupt user account, the best option is to create a new user account. This is quite easy to do, as you can see above.
Then you need to open a new account. To see if the problem is solved, switch to a new account and try activating the dark theme.
If the dark theme is on your new account, you can move all your personal files there and use them instead of your old account.
Read this manual to control your user account like a real technician!
6. Interview CVS and DISM
- Open a command prompt as administrator. To do so, press Windows + X and select the Command Prompt (Admin) from the list. You can also use PowerShell (Admin) if you like.
- Once the command line is open, type sfc /scannow and press Enter to execute.
- Scanning is now in progress. This scan can take about 10 to 15 minutes, so make sure you don’t get in the way.
If the dark theme in the file explorer does not work, your installation may be damaged. This can happen for several reasons, and it is recommended to perform an FCS analysis to solve the problem.
The procedure is quite simple, and you can follow it by following the previous steps. After completion of the SFC analysis, check whether the problem persists.
If you cannot perform an SFC scan, or if the scan does not solve the problem, you should perform a DISM scan by doing the following
- Execute the command line as administrator and execute the following command:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- This scan can take about 20 minutes, sometimes more, so don’t hold it.
Once the check is complete, check that the problem persists. If for some reason you could not perform the SFC analysis earlier, try performing it after the DISM analysis and see if it helps.
Would you like more information about DISM? See our detailed instructions!
The File Explorer dark theme is a great addition to Windows 10, but if the dark theme does not work for you, the problem is probably due to a lack of updates.
Do you still have a problem? Fix them with these tools:
This software corrects common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware errors, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance.
Troubleshoot PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download this much appreciated PC recovery tool from TrustPilot.com (you can download it from this page).
- Click the Start scan button to scan for Windows issues that may cause PC problems.
- Click on Restore All to solve problems related to patented technologies (exclusive discount for our readers).
- Restoro has been downloaded by 0 players this month.
Editor’s comments : This article was originally published in January 2019 and revised and updated in December 2020 for timeliness, accuracy and completeness.
windows explorer dark theme 1709,windows 10 file explorer dark theme regedit,windows 10 update dark theme,windows 10 file explorer dark theme not working reddit,windows 10 file explorer dark theme download,windows 10 dark mode file explorer white bar,windows 10 1809 dark theme not working,windows 10 dark theme not working file explorer,how to fix the file manager dark mode problem,windows 10 file explorer update