Windows 10 won’t open JPG files? 6 tested solutions
- Fuzzy lens and improved filling based content
- Object selection tool (for fast and accurate selection)
- More control in the deformation tool to add checkpoints anywhere
- More checks at a central location and practical rapid action
- New slopes, patterns, samples, layers, styles and shapes
With Adobe Photoshop, you can easily view, edit and convert multiple files like JPEG, PSD and TIFF at the same time.
Other productive spectators include:
⇒ FileViewer Plus (free)
⇒ File viewer plus 2
⇒ ACDsee Photo Viewer
You can open .jpg files and hundreds of different formats with a single application. FileViewer Plus is a versatile file viewer for Windows that can open and display over 300 different file types.
You can download the free and fully functional trial version from the official website or buy it at an affordable price.
3. Start DISM scanHealth
- Click Start and type cmd in the search box.
- Click the command line in the list of search results.
- Enter the following command to find the missing parts: Dismissal / Online / Image cleaning / ScanHealth
- Enter the following command to analyze and correct the reasons why Windows 10 cannot open JPG files: Dismantling / Online / Restoring Health
- Press the Enter key.
Once the repair is complete, restart your computer and check if the problem persists. Then you can run the SFC scan as described in the following solution.
DISM ScanHealth scans the image for damage to all component deposits, while RestoreHealth automatically performs a recovery action and then writes it to a log file. Run both scans to resolve the issue.
Pay attention: The DISM tool usually takes 15 minutes or more, so don’t cancel it while you work.
If you are an administrator and have problems accessing the command line, you should read this guide carefully.
All seems to be lost when DISM fails in Windows 10? Check out this quick guide and get rid of your fears.
4. Start SFC scan
- Click Start and type cmd in the search box.
- Right-click the command line in the search results list and choose Run as Administrator.
- Type sfc/scannow and press Enter.
- Restart your computer and check if the JPG files are open.
This scan checks for defective Windows components on your computer if Windows 10 does not open JPG files.
If this still does not work, try the following solution.
5. Installing and updating drivers in Windows 10
Most programs created for earlier versions of Windows may not work properly or at all. So you can install and update the drivers in Windows 10 and see if it helps.
In addition, by running the software compatibility troubleshooting software, you can identify and resolve some of these issues. If troubleshooting stops before the end, use this complete guide to correct the error.
6. Remove obsolete registry keys
- Login as administrator.
- Right-click on Start and select Run.
- Type regedit and press the Enter key.
- In the left pane, navigate and find the following folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareClassesLocalSettingsSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionAppModelRepositoryFamiliesMicrosoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe
- You will see several entries, each with a version number. If there are 8 entries for the Windows Photos application, the obsolete registry keys were left behind after the upgrade, so they should be removed (some have two or four).
- Select an old item, right-click the item, and then select Authorizations.
- In the Security window, click on Advanced.
- Select your user name and press OK.
- Right-click on the old entry and choose Delete.
- Repeat these steps for each expired entry, then shut down and restart the computer.
Sometimes Windows 10 won’t open JPG files because the registry entries are outdated, but you can fix them by modifying the registry and following the above steps carefully.
You don’t have access to the registry editor? It’s not as scary as it sounds. Read this guide and solve the problem quickly.
If this is too much work for you and you are looking for registry cleaning software, here are the best registry cleaning tools currently available.
Clean your registry like an expert with this great guide written by experts!
Did any of these solutions help you fix the situation where Windows 10 can’t open JPG files? Let us know by giving us your comments in the section below.
Please also leave your other suggestions or questions.
FAQ: More information about JPEGimages
JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) is a popular format used to display photos. It is characterized by the use of a compression technique that selectively removes data, resulting in lower image quality when the file is decompressed for playback.
- What is the difference between a JPEG and a JPG?
There are no differences between JPG and JPEG formats, except for the number of characters used to name the extension. Earlier versions of Windows introduced a character limit.
- What is the best program to open JPEG files?
You can open JPG files with the built-in browser in Windows Photo Viewer or with third-party applications such as Adobe Photoshop.
Editor’s comment : This article was originally published in February 2018 and revised and updated in January 2021 for timeliness, accuracy and completeness.
cannot open jpg files with windows photo viewer, windows 10 photo viewer won t open jpg, what program opens jpg files windows 10?, it looks like we don’t support this file format jpg, can’t open jpg files windows 7, why won t my pictures open when i click on them, microsoft photos jpg, file system error jpg